To do the hair removal we do not necessarily have to resort to the beautician or the foams or depilatory strips available on the market. Thanks to DIY it is possible to prepare a mixture based on sugar and lemon at home.
In this regard we will show you how to do a waxing at home with products that are easily available at home.
DIY waxing has multiple benefits:
- it is not aggressive
- it has no side effects
- it's cheap
- respect the environment
- does not present allergy risks
- it is simple to prepare
- can be stored for several months
- unlike conventional waxing which tends to dry out the skin, DIY waxing moisturizes it making it soft and silky
- contains only natural products
DIY waxing, the ingredients
- 50 ml of water
- 50 ml of lemon juice
- 100 grams of sugar, preferably ground to reduce preparation time
ATTENTION: the use of icing sugar is not recommended due to the presence of starch
DIY waxing, the preparation
If you know how to prepare caramel you are already at a good point as the first preparation phase is similar:
- Put the saucepan with the water and sugar on a low flame and caramelize the mixture
- As soon as it takes on color, add the lemon juice and mix with the help of a spoon
- Remove from the heat as soon as the mixture is well blended and let it rest
- At this point, transfer the product into a glass jar.
DIY waxing, use
Make sure you use the product only when the product has cooled down. Before applying, check the temperature of the compound; it must not be too hot otherwise you risk getting burned. Here's how to proceed:
- Spread the mixture with the help of a spatula on the area to be depilated: the mixture must be spread in the direction of hair growth
- Make a piece of fabric adhere to the well spread mixture and vigorously tear it in the opposite direction to that of hair growth (if you are shaving the torn legs upwards)
As we have already mentioned, this wax can be stored for a long time so the leftover compound can be reused; the next time you use it, you just have to heat the jar in a bain marie.
Variations: as an alternative to the piece of fabric you can knead the mixture for 5 minutes until it forms a ball that you will apply directly to the skin, and then spread it following the same procedure just suggested.
DIY waxing, useful tips
- For the sake of success it is good to follow some precautions:
- The hairs must be from 6mm to 1.2cm: in this case the hairs can be plucked at the root
- Do this in a room where it is not too hot to prevent the wax from becoming too fluid and not very sticky due to sweat
- Before starting, spread some talcum powder on the area to be depilated
- Make sure that the parts to be treated are perfectly clean
- Avoid waxing after a tanning lamp, to prevent skin spots from developing
- Avoid use even in case of contact dermatitis, acne or hypersensitivity to the epidermis
Just like the DIY cerretta there are many beauty products that can be prepared at home. For this purpose, we refer you to reading the article "DIY cosmetics"